A Green Line Extension Update
May 11, 2016
The re-evaluation of the Green Line Extension (GLX) project has been completed and a report by the GLX Interim Project Management Team was submitted to the MassDOT Board of Directors and the MBTA Fiscal & Management Control Board at a joint meeting Monday, May 9, 2016.
The report focuses on seven key areas: (1) the redesigned GLX project; (2) the new cost estimate; (3) the potential completion schedule; (4) competitive procurement recommendation; (5) future management of the GLX project; (6) sources and uses of funding; and (7) risks and risk management. A copy of the report (PDF file) and the meeting presentation (PDF file) can be downloaded from the MBTA website.
After receiving the report, the MassDOT Board of Directors and the MBTA Fiscal & Management Control Board voted as follows:
The Board of Directors of the Massachusetts Department of Transportation ("MassDOT") and the Fiscal and Management Control Board ("FMCB") of the Massachusetts Bay Transportation Authority ("MBTA") support advancing the Green Line Extension Project ("GLX Project") and seeking Federal Transit Administration ("FTA") review and approval of the redesigned GLX Project. The MassDOT Board and FMCB are confident that the Interim Project Management Team ("IPMT") package as presented provides the full functionality and benefits of the GLX Project and that the proposed procurement method and program management structure will enable the MBTA to deliver the project successfully and hereby unanimously [unanimous vote of members present] authorize and direct MassDOT and MBTA staff and the IPMT to take the following steps:
- Submit the proposed GLX Project redesign, revised GLX Project cost estimate, proposed procurement and project delivery method, program management plan and revised GLX Project schedule to FTA;
- Continue the preparation of the revised draft GLX Project Finance Plan for future submission to the FTA and provide a regular report to the MassDOT Board and FMCB on its status;
- Report to MassDOT Board and FMCB at the next Joint Meeting, on the following:
- The strategy and progress/schedule for hiring and structuring project management in accordance with the program management plan outlined today;
- Recommendations for advancing additional low-cost elements of the GLX Project, during the same time that the FTA process and the management hiring strategy are being pursued;
- Recommendations for a schedule of "gates" at which point staff will return to these boards for further consideration and direction.
Over the next months, MassDOT and the MBTA will move forward with these next steps for the Green Line Extension project.
If you have comments, please do not hesitate to share them with us at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Thank you for your continued interest in the Green Line Extension project.